Search for source of /leputen/ in Montana Salish

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Apr 19 22:55:08 UTC 2002

[M. Cleven writes:]
...the vowel in the -en ending is quite a bit different from Dave's
"pan-CJ" (whatever that is) /lEbEtay/, enit?

[D. Robertson responds:]
No.  It's true there's documented variation between endings /-ay/ and /-ey/ in various varieties across CJ, as also with /lamiyay/ or /lamiyey/ "old woman".  (Thus my generalization "pan-CJ".)  Rather than clutter my post with linguists' technical symbols for variables specified only by a feature or two, like "V" for "vowel", I opted arbitrarily for an /-ay/ version, preceded it with the symbol for "approximately" (a tilde), and called it good.