slaves & how are you

Linda Fink linda at FINK.COM
Sun Apr 28 15:55:53 UTC 2002

Just as a point of information, in Grand Ronde the Hudson family, at least,
pronounced LaXayEm with the emphasis on the first syllable. That
pronunciation, Tony has told me, was only local but I've wondered if was
actually the original pronunciation which later turned into the one that
sounds like Clark, How are you? Tony teaches the latter, more universal,
pronunciation which is used by most all the elders recorded around the
Northwest.

As for slaves, in the book "The Witch Doctor's Son" by Evelyn Sibley
Lampman, the young protagonist was stolen from another tribe. However, it is
a fictionalized version of a true story told to the author by Eula's father,
John Hudson. Eula told me that in her father's version, the boy was sold
into slavery by his family, which was a common practice at the time
according to Hudson. But this doesn't answer anything about whether there
was a pidgin between tribes. There is much cj in this book, which takes
place at the time of the creation of the Grand Ronde reservation.

Linda Fink