"Clark, how are you?": Seeking sources to help in research on Paul Kane [fwd]

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sun Apr 28 02:53:35 UTC 2002

[Dave R. prefaces this forward:  I defer to whomever can find the answer to this question more quickly.  We're still unpacking and organizing my files.  Your answer can go to the list, if you like, or privately through Henry or me, who'll be glad to forward it to Ian.  Thanks!]

From:    zenk at uswestmail.net

Dave,

I had an interesting conversation with this fellow this
AM.  He's researching the Paul Kane travel narrative
that I'm familiar with as the OHS publication subtitled
The Columia Wanderer.  According to him, it wasn't
written by Paul Kane (or at least, not in the form in
which it was published; this however is commonplace for
these mid-19th c. travel narratives).

Anyway, he's trying to track down the sources and dates
of the narrative as published.  A clue might be
provided by the hoary old "etymology" of "Clahowya"
from "Clark! How are ya!" (this actually appears in
this narrative, which I believe was published 1853).
Do you or anyone else on the list perchance have other
references for this quaint bit of folk etymology?

(By the way, I wrote back to Ian correcting the garbled
info on phonetics of the word LaXayam, for which I was
source in a phone conversation with him.)

Wel, aLqi ntsa wawa.  Henry