query re mary

Ros' Liland Brajant lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 21 00:03:01 UTC 2002

There certainly must be some Marian material somewhere in Chinuk Wawa, but
Eells is not where I would expect to find it. Until quite recently Mary has
been almost completely absent from Protestant hymnody except for that
associated with the Advent season and Christmas, and perhaps an occasional
adaptation of the Stabat Mater.

lilEnd
amateur hymnologist

>From: Terry Glavin <transmontanus at gulfislands.com>
>To: CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org
>Subject: query re mary
>Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:39:28 -0700
>
>klahowya everyone.
>
>a fellow writer is working on a book about mary in canada. mary as in
jesus's auld woman etc.
>she is interested to know about mary's occurences in chinook; i thought i
would have had something of that. it seems certain that lejeune would have
translated hail mary etc., but can't find it. mary doesn't appear in myron
eells' hymns from 1896. but she must be there somewhere. . . saghalie mama?
mahlie?

        ROS' Haruo / 204 N 39th / Seattle WA 98103 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html
      ("la Esperantisto antauxe nomata Liland Brajant Ros'")