query re mary

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Thu Aug 22 13:05:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:09:09 -0400, "David D. Robertson" <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:

>I'd have to dig a little to find it, but I think I've seen Father Le
>Jeune's CJ translation of the Hail Mary, "Tlus Mari", more than once.  He
>certainly published translations of it in numerous Salishan languages, e.g.
>his St'at'imcets ~ "O Mari Slamhal" in the "Lillooet Manual".
>
>-- Dave

I don't know much about religion (especially the Catholic), but I do understand the missionaries had a very difficult time making what they felt would be adequate translation of prayers, sermons and instruction into the limited, transaction-oriented Jargon (which they unhappily resorted to using, as most were unable to master the complex and numerous full Native tongues--despite having a multilingual education and earnest desire).  I expect what was transmitted in Jargon was therefore necessarily a bit sketchy, or at least highly abbreviated.

I paid little attention to religious work in Jargon myself until recently, when I learned it includes some of the most careful (attempted) Jargon translations.  (When I can get around to retyping Demers, I should become much better informed than I am now.)

I understand singing was a popular part of Christian services offered the Natives.  Due to the importance of song in both Christian worship and Native culture, it may be possible more effort went into (or greater success may have been had) incorporating doctrine into hymns.  Dell also mentioned hymns, and I think he's on to something there.

I also wonder if some of the body of traditional Native song might have been adapted to Christian worship.  While Protestants tended to reject the unfamiliar, the Catholics historically recognized the appeal of incorporating local tradition into their ritual.  If this was done, it would have been less of a stretch than constructing entirely new prayers, lessons and sermons in Jargon.  If any record of such adaptation survives, it would probably shed more light on the area than the reprints we frequently see of the most popular prayers translated into (often embellished or later amended) Jargon.

Regards,

Jeff