"sewellel" redux; "Cenaqua"

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sun Feb 10 02:09:46 UTC 2002

Thanks to Liland for the brief on Lushootseed dialects. I looked again
at the main entry, and sháw'kL is apparently a Northern L. form, while
shaw'L is Muckleshoot (SL), and shEw'L is Snohomish (southernmost NL,
tending to SL). The 19th-cent. Nisqually (SL) form I cited earlier
(showtl) is practically identical, given the imperfect orthography of
the time, to the Muckleshoot (SL) form.

I said that Lewis' sewelel is close to shEw'L, but the initial consonant
differs. The difference may be real, because Lewis would probably have
transcribed an /sh/ as [sh], not as [s].

Liland's question whether sháw'kL, shaw'L and shEw'L represent normal
dialectal variation in Lushootseed is for a Salishan expert.

Alan