"sewellel" redux; "Cenaqua"

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sun Feb 10 02:32:16 UTC 2002

Alan, Liland,

Your points about dialect differences are well taken.  My general idea, that this form (note that it's /shaw'kwL/, not /shaw'kL/; Lushootseed, like Spokane, no longer makes significant use of /k/) might reflect participation in the areal phenomenon of shared or very similar names for biological entities, stands.

But also -- The variation in form which I find most interesting here is that between /s-waxw-Ebsh/ and /s-xwaxw-Ebsh/; this is simply because my education so far in Salishanist studies has me under the impression that a /w/ ~ /xw/ alternation is rarely a productive one in these languages.  If it's not productive, then the variation between these two forms might be ascribed to another cause, such as the uncertainty with which unfamiliar terms are parsed, in any language.

In each case, including our Lushootseed question, there is at least potentially the problem of the native speaker's decision upon a form that favors faithfulness to an original phonetic input, or else upon a form that may seem more semantically transparent.

So, if the Lushootseed variation in question is *not* due *only* to dialect differences, then this approach may be worth taking up.  This may be the sort of linguistic indeterminacy that comes up in contact situations.  And it certainly has occurred in varieties of Chinuk-Wawa...Take <kloochman>, for example.

-- Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous