Revision of French loan-words page on my site (at last!)

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Feb 10 22:43:41 UTC 2002

Hi out there.  I've finally gotten back to the endless task of revising
my Chinook Jargon pages.  As some of you may know, the Jargon borrowed a
lot of words from French, some of which changed in meaning on the way
in, and most changed in prononciation.  I'd like the opinions of people
more knowledgeable in French than myself on my current revision of my
French loan-words page, which for the moment is at
http://www.cayoosh.net/hiyu/french.html - it will be permanently at
http://www.hiyu.net/french.html as of tomorrow night; I'm just changing
servers and the new guy hasn't created my web directory yet.  In
particular, could y'all please have a look at the French-Chinook section
of the page at http://www.cayoosh.net/hiyu/french.html#french - after
tomorrow night at http://www.hiyu.net/french.html#french (the first part
is Chinook-French, y'see) - and to discussions of possible varying
origins of various words in the list given, including a small section at
the bottom of the page concerning speculative origins, especially of the
original phrase whence came "mahsh" (from marcher, or a phrase using it)
into the Jargon, which I've managed to forget.  There's also been some
discussion of polallie in the list lately, which I hope someone can
recap for me, along with Barbara Harris' discussion of lagween.  I know,
I know, I left my faulty theory of lepishemo on there; I'll get rid of
it later, unless someone has any further thoughts; native etymologies of
various non-French words also welcome.  I know some of my ideas are
probably off the map for purists, but....

I +KNOW+ that I don't have the proper accents, circumflexes etc. on the
given French words, and would appreciate quick pointers on the HTML
character codes for these; I know, I know RTFM, if only I can remember
where it is ;P).

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)