Translations of 'nobody'

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Mon Feb 11 16:15:20 UTC 2002

LaXayEm,

khapit ntsayka wawa 'hilu-Laksta' pus bastEn 'nobody' yakwa.  mtsayka kEmtEks?

Tony A. Johnson
sawash-ili?i
Grand Ronde, OR

>>> Mike Cleven <ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM> 02/10/02 02:07AM >>>
"A.Kleen" wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> I'm looking for translations of the word nobody into as many different
> languages as possible. I already have English, Latin, German, French and all
> languages Babelfish supports (Portugese, Spanish, Italian, Japanese).
> I'm looking for others in both dead and alive languages. They should
> be printable in ASCII letters. Sufficiently well spread dialects are
> welcome too.
>
> Please mail them to me or post them to the group.

Chinook Jargon:  "halo konaway" or "wake konaway", lit. "no everyone" so
could also mean "not everyone", so to avoid confusion perhaps "halo
tillikums" or "wake tillikums" (no people) might suffice.  A
creolized/native prononciation is "wik k'anawe" where k' is an ejective;
other variants have an unaspirated 'k' on "konaway".

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)