Pls help with French meanings/origins on my Chinook Jargonpage

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Wed Feb 13 19:20:57 UTC 2002

Mike Cleven wrote:

> JGuy wrote:
> >
> > Capo - coat. Capot. It's Canadian French, meaning winter
> >      coat. In French, it's capote, related to Italian
> >      capotto "overcoat".

Eng. capote capote and capot reflect the Fr. fem. capote (pron. kapot)
and the Fr. masc. capot (pron. kapo) respectively. Both mean 'hood,
overcoat'.

> > Lagwin, lakween - l'égoïne. My dictionary gives "handsaw".
> >      "Handsaw" yes, but not any handsaw. It is a handsaw with
> >      a narrow blade tapering to a point.
>
> Hmmm....trying to remember the English name for one of those; there is
> one, but only carpenters use it.

How about compass saw or keyhole saw?

> > Lapishemo -- I don't know, I tend to think it is rather
> >       le ???ement, something like le harnachement, perhaps
> >       le fichement, although I have never come across it
> >       it's a possible word meaning "comment il est fichu"
> >       -- how [the horse] is outfitted. I'd be very surprised
> >       if chameau had anything to do with it.
>
> chameau was my guess; I'd originally erred confusing it with chauffe/eur
> to do with heat, i.e. some kind of blanket or covering, but I got shot
> down for that one a long time ago.  Lapishemo is credited in the list
> with coming from Algonkian (Ojibway I think) but there's no reason to
> think that it wasn't borrowed from French

There *are* reasons, as I mentioned in my recent post: 1.) it originally
had nothing to do with horses, and meant simply 'blanket for a bed'.
2.) it has a transparent etymology in Ojibway appiSSimon 'blanket,
mattress, bed' < appiSSimo 'lie on something' [S = esh (s-hacek)]

> > Burdash -- I can't find "berdache" in my 1900 7-volume
> >         Larousse, so...?
>
> The French origin is quoted in the sources; someone else once supplied
> the "berdache" spelling/usage here, and pointed at the 17th C or
> before.  I'm open to suggestions.  This isn't a native word, so far as
> is known.

OED: F. bardache, cogn. with It. bardascia, Sp. bardajo, -axo; perh. ad.
Arab. bardaj slave.

Random House Dict.: F. bardache < S. Ital. bardascia < Arabic bardaj
'slave' < Persian bardah. Amer. Heritage Dict. agrees.

Alan