Glottal stop frequency

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 14 19:52:19 UTC 2002

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> > I thought there was a legitimate Micmac etymology for it that did mean "he
> > eats it raw". But then, I don't know much Micmac.
>
> HNAI V.5 (Ives Goddard): "In spite of the tenacity of the belief, both
> among Algonquian speakers and in the anthropological and general
> literature..this explanation fits only the cited Ojibwa forms..and
> cannot be correct for the presumed Montagnais source of the word Eskimo
> itself." [And note that Ojibwa is geographically a very unlikely
> source.]

Why?  Aren't their Inuit along the southwestern Coast of HB and a bit in
the James Bay area, or only northwards from Chibougamou.  Who are the
neighbouring Algonkians through northern Ontario, etc.; only Cree, or
some Ojibway, etc.?
--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)