Tahlklie and Polaklie

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Feb 20 05:29:32 UTC 2002

I get the impression that [po-] in Kathlamet Chinook may be associated
with "darkness" as in [igoponem] 'it grew dark'.  If this is correct
then you have [-laklie] to account for.

po-laklie
tah-lkie

The morphological suffix stem form may then be [-lkie] which can be
derived from [-laklie].  Just browsing now, I am not sure what this stem
may be.

This is just my impression, wext,

phil cash cash
cayuse/nez perce

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Mike Cleven
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 7:43 AM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Tahlklie and Polaklie

Klahowya konaway tillikums.

Editing (well, actually reformatting) some pages tonight and happened
across "tahlklie" (yesterday) and "polaklie" (evening, night, darkness)
and couldn't helpt but guess that they're related; I'm wondering what
the exact etymology is the "-klie" ending and the "tahl-" and "pola-"
bits.  Is this Chinookan?

Tomolla is of course CJ for "tomorrow"; but was there another word,
perhaps a "-klie" word, for "tomorrow" in the source language?

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)