Tahlklie and Polaklie

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Feb 19 18:03:18 UTC 2002

phil cash cash wrote:

> ...sorry, i meant
>
> po-laklie
> tah-lklie
>
> where [-lklie] is related to [-laklie].

Something else I noted is a convention for transliterations
in the
historic lexicons, or sort of a convention; I can't say I
can recall
seeing "polatlie" or "tahltlie" the same way we see
klap/tlap and other
kl/tl variations; presumably these are the same sound, or
are supposed
to be by what's written about this spelling formation;
although it's
also true that L (lh) is used in such words down GR way, but
distinctly harder kl/tl up Stowbelow way.  The word I first
noticed this
on - the kl/tl convention in certain words - was tl'kope;
unless
someone's seen kl'kope; another example tlwhop (or is that
tlhwop?).  Do
travellers' and settlers' wordlists make any distinction in
such cases?

Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)
http://www.hiyu.net (Chinook Jargon phrasebook/history)