FW: Tahlklie and Polaklie

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu Feb 21 04:10:50 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Dell Hymes [mailto:dhymes at adelphia.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 8:29 AM
To: phil cash cash
Subject: Re: Tahlklie and Polaklie

Kathlamet verb stem	 -pu 'to close'
	verb/noun stem -pun 'to become dark'
		e.g., p. 85, line 16 KT:  n-(a)-u-pun--m-x  'it grew
dark'
			(before -u-, a deletes)
			stress on u.

also, noun 	a-La-p'un-n-kau  'a blind one.		L= voiceless
lateral
cf. Wishram  	a-k-p'uninkau "I (k) am blind'

Kathalmet	a-pul, wa-pul  'night'
		a-n-p'un-maX  "I am darkness' (X = velar voiceless
fricative)