Q's re origin of coho and chum

Terry Glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Tue Jan 8 20:38:32 UTC 2002

hi folks.

 As for "chum" or "coho" origins, Jeffrey's account coincides with my own
understanding of a Lower Fraser (Halkomelemem) origin for coho; Also "tzum"
appears in several Chinook "jargon" dictionaries as the word for "marks" or
"writing."

 You might be interested to know that most of the latin names for Pacific
salmon (their taxonomical classifications) come from the language of the
Kamchadal peoples of the Kamchatka coast, on the Russian Pacific. Coho is
Oncorhynchus kisutch, derived from a Kamchadal vernacular. Chum, however, is
Oncorhynchus keta, from the language of the Nanai peoples, whose traditional
territories lie between the Sangari and Ussuri rivers of the Khabarovsk and
Primoye regions, south of Kamchatka, adjacent to the Sea of Okhotsk. The
Nanai speak a subdialect of the Amur River peoples, and chum is the major
anadramous fish found in the Amur, where the word "keta" means simply
"fish."

 This from F. K. Sandercock on coho and E.O. Salo on chum in Pacific Salmon
Life Histories, Groot, C. and Margolis, L., eds., University of B.C. Press,
1991.