Q's re origin of coho and chum

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Tue Jan 8 20:53:45 UTC 2002

Thanks to George, Terry and Alan for the prompt responses.  I will
summarize them and send them on.  (If anyone would be interested in
the author or his book, email me for his address.)

 I am not a fisherman so I wasn't aware of "chum salmon," only chum
bait, and therefore didn't make the connection to tzum.

On a tangential note, while searching for "coho" online I ran across
this page about the Cohoes Falls on the Mohawk River in New York
http://www.infotech-maine.com/CohoesNY/abcohoes/falls.html , which
includes this line:  "The Tribe mourned its loss and all Red Men
marked this place, for a princess...daughter of a warrior, died
there. All called the place Coho, the place of the Falling Canoe."
I presume it's coincidental, as it's a long way from Salishan
territory.

Regards,

Jeff