Q's re origin of coho and chum

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 9 00:35:48 UTC 2002

>From: Jeffrey Kopp <jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM>
>
>On a tangential note, while searching for "coho" online I ran across
>this page about the Cohoes Falls on the Mohawk River in New York
>http://www.infotech-maine.com/CohoesNY/abcohoes/falls.html , which
>includes this line:  "The Tribe mourned its loss and all Red Men
>marked this place, for a princess...daughter of a warrior, died
>there. All called the place Coho, the place of the Falling Canoe."
>I presume it's coincidental, as it's a long way from Salishan
>territory.

It certainly sounds unlikely that there would be a connection; but I didn't
notice any etymology or definition for the Halkomelem source word. Does it
just mean "coho [salmon]" or does it have some underlying or analyzable
meaning that could facilitate construction of a faux folk etymology to link
it to the Upstate New York "place of the falling canoe"?

Liland