The Capture & Execution of Tsimshian chief Scotseye, 1799

Ross Clark (FOA LING) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Sat Jan 12 22:35:29 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: David D. Robertson
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: 9/01/2002 5:10 PM
Subject: The Capture & Execution of Tsimshian chief Scotseye, 1799

Hi...purty long of a message...interesting early recording of "Boston"
and "King George"...is "clue" presumably Haida Jargon?  Intriguing
comments
about language use about halfway down.  --  Dave

Dave,

Thanks for this interesting text. I had seen references to the Sturgis
journal, but not the thing itself. Does anyone know if it exists in any
accessible form?

"Clue", "clew" and "cluto" for ship or canoe are recorded by Ingraham,
Hoskins and Bishop in Haida waters in the early 1790s. Although I like your
suggestion about "crew", I'm guessing this is real Haida, but haven't been
able to check.

Ross Clark