No subject

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Jan 29 06:20:15 UTC 2002

For the record, the first words of the "Over 5000 Chinook words equal to 7500 English words, in one page" [by Father Le Jeune's reckoning] a.k.a. "St. Cecilia, Virgin and Martyr", from _Kamloops Wawa_, are:

"Sin Sisilia chako tanas kopa Rom, kah mitlait [illegible; just a smudge?] iaka papa.  Iaka mama mitlait ayu iktas, pi wik klaska komtaks styuil.  Wik klaska komtaks S[ahali] T[ayi], wik klaska komtaks Sh[isyu] K[ri]."

Translation:  "Saint Cecilia was born in Rome, where her father lived.  Her mother had many possessions, and they didn't know prayer.  They didn't know God, [and] they didn't know Jesus Christ."

My eyes are tired already...maybe more later, once I magnify this page ten times!

-- Dave
--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous