Whiskey jack, the bird, and high muck

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Wed Jul 10 22:33:26 UTC 2002

As a student of the BC public school system, I was taught about potlatching
as an aboriginal social/political/religious ceremony.  Potlatching was
portrayed as an alternate economic system.***  The injustice of past
anti-potlatching laws was clearly expounded and attention was drawn to the
Nuu-cha-nulth origin of the word.

*** In our modern globalised economy it would be interesting to think about
how learned, corporate potlatching might develop.

David Lewis <coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>@LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG> on
11-07-2002 03:53:43

Please respond to David Lewis <coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

Sent by:  The Chinook List <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>