Double consonants in Lushootseed?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Mar 4 13:47:10 UTC 2002

Dave Robertson wrote:

> Liland,
>
> That's a good example, too; it's another word that comes from a single-morpheme foreign item -- that is, you can't break the word /CEduqq/ into smaller parts that have any meaning -- and I suspect that this Lushootseed word, too, may represent a "hyperforeign" pronunciation.  (Compare with the current standard Pacific NW English pronunciation [latey], with final stress, for <[caffe] latte>.)

Just to quibble; standard _American_ Pacific NW English prononciation,
maybe; Canadian-side it's a different vowel (have to consult my notes
for which is which) - we say "latte" with the same 'a' as in 'cat', and
with the accent on the first syllable; US tends to use 'a' as in
"awesome" in "latte"; haven't heard it with the second syllable accent,
though.

Ref; the Jargon's "kopi", "kaupy" etc.  I've wondered if an arch-Boston
affectation of the English word might be represented by the second of
those two spellings (think of someone from Southie saying "cawfee").
Coffee was (then) much less important in Kingchauch Illahee; it makes
sense that the word would have come from Boston Wawa rather than
Kingchauchwawa.

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)