French-Chinook list

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue May 21 00:50:31 UTC 2002

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) wrote:
> [...]

True enough; but when I first asked them what their word for "rifle" was
they came up with something else; started with 'r' but don't know
exactly.  When I asked them if they recognized "karabin" they said, yes,
of course, but it didn't seem like it was a word they used on a regular
basis; much as most English speakers might not use "carbine", I'd think.
    Your own sourcing of this to the mid-17th C suggests that it was a
_part_ of Russian in the days of the fur trade (late 18th Century); I
guess the clincher would be if carabines/carbines were among the trade
goods distributed from Sitka etc. and in what year, etc, plus some
evidence showing that the Spanish, British etc. _didn't_ trade in
carabines/carbines, etc.

In my earlier post I'd meant to mention that AFAIK there's a significant
difference between a musket and a carbine; muzzle-length mostly, and
ease of use (carbines were developed for mounted shooters); I'd thought
maybe that it was a muzzle vs breechloading difference but apparently
not.  cf:

http://www.bbhc.org/pointsWest/PWArticle.cfm?ArticleID=57

--
Mike Cleven