Frederic Long's Jargon Dictionary avail cheap

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Oct 8 19:09:07 UTC 2002

Hello,
Does anyone know which Chinook Jargon dictionary was published in Victoria,
BC about 1872? I found a newspaper reference to that publication  in the
British Colonist recently.
David

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On
Behalf Of Jeffrey Kopp
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 6:25 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Frederic Long's Jargon Dictionary avail cheap

Hi.  I ran across a 1909 Jargon dict. I haven't seen before by Frederic J.
Long (though the name looks familiar), pub. Lowman & Hanford, Seattle.
Seller describes as heavily derived from Gibbs, but this appears to me an
uncommon edition; dictionary buffs/analysts/collectors might find it worth
having.  On ebay by an established Seattle-area used-bookseller; fresh
offering, sole bid currently just $10.  Shipping $3, Wash residents add 8.8%
(holy cow has the tax gone up since I lived there).  See
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1568389825

Regards,

Jeff