Frederic Long's Jargon Dictionary avail cheap

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Tue Oct 8 20:22:20 UTC 2002

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:09:07 -0700, David Lewis <coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> wrote:

>Hello,
>Does anyone know which Chinook Jargon dictionary was published in Victoria,
>BC about 1872? I found a newspaper reference to that publication  in the
>British Colonist recently.
>David

The only ones I know of which were published specifically in Victoria about then are the T.N. Hibben series, which were unattributed and derived from Gibbs; some editions were undated.  These are very common and are probably the best-known Jargon references north of the 49th.  They began churning these out not long after 1872.

Here from the Canadian National Library's "News," November 1999 (http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/9/2/p2-9911-04-e.html):

"Gibbs's A Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon; or, Indian Trade Language, of the North Pacific Coast was reprinted numerous times (with some changes) between 1875 and 1908 by the T.N. Hibben Company of Victoria. Other versions were published as late as the 1930s."

J.