Wyatt, Victoria. "Images from the Inside Passage"

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Sep 16 00:06:13 UTC 2002

Subtitled "An Alaskan Portrait by Winter & Pond".  Seattle:  UW Press, 1989.

Page 14:  Winter & Pond owned a boat, the _Photo Friday_.  [This put me in
mind of naturalist John Muir's vocabulary of Alaskan Chinook Jargon, which
includes "friday" with a meaning like 'shoreward'.]

Page ?? [I'll need to go back to the library to photocopy it]:  A
discussion of plaques which Southeast Alaska Indian house owners used
to "display cultural messages", as a successor device to the older
tradition of decorating the house front with emblems of one's crest or
clan.  Mention is made of such plaques "appear[ing] to speak to Whites".

Page 32:  Photo of Saginaw Jake and his house, with his well-known plaque
reading "By the Gouvernor's [sic] commission, / and the company's
permission, / I am made the grand tyhee, / of this entire illahee, /
prominent in song and story, / I've attained the top of glory. / As
Saginaw, I'm know to fame, / Jake is but my common name."  An emblem
resembling a shield with the U.S. stars & stripes is at center of the
plaque, surmounted by the name "KITCHEENAULT".

Page 33:  Photo of Kahchuckte and his house.  The plaque over the doorway
reads, in part, "Yes, my name it is 'Kah-chuckte.' / Manslayer, in the
Boston tongue."

Page ??:  A description of the custom of lying in state when an important
Tlingit dies.  Aurel Krause's words from 1881 are quoted:  "Two beautiful
Chilkat blankets were laid on his knees and on these was a package of
letters of recommendation given him by the commanders and other important
white people..."  These would be the "skookum papers" so valued by
Southeast Alaska Indian leaders.

Page 44:  Photo of "Styk Indian Dancers, Alaska".  Evidently Athabaskans or
Tlingits imitating Athabaskans.

Page 124:  Photo of "Takou Chief Lying in State, Alaska", but no visible
skookum papers.