Recent article on CJ

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Apr 8 19:25:23 UTC 2003

I did a simple search on Early Canadiana Online and found a paper that
Eells published in the American Anthropologist vol. VII.
http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/mtq?id=ef55f44034&display=14946+0002

The essay appears to be a study of Chinook Jargon dictionaries, along with
a statement that he published a list about 1846 (p 302 middle). Could this
"list" be the dictionary or did he publish something afterwards. The essay
may be a study of other CJ dictionaries in preparation for publishing one
of his own. If this is the case then Eells would actually have two
dictionaries, technically.
David