a good comment on an unpopular word

Peter Webster peterweb at BENDNET.COM
Wed Apr 9 05:18:25 UTC 2003

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0408montini08.html
Who would call warrior 'squaw'?

Here's a chance to right a wrong.

Apr. 8, 2003 12:00 AM

I'm wondering if during her short life Army Pfc. Lori Piestewa was ever
referred to as a "squaw." It will never happen now. She has earned that
much. Not just for herself, but for every woman like her.

There have been suggestions over the years to remove the word from parks and
public facilities. But these suggestions have failed. Those who like the
word point out that in many dictionaries, "squaw" is simply defined as a
Native American woman. They say that Indians who find the word offensive are
thin-skinned and that non-Indians who believe the word is derogatory are
either misinformed liberals or the softheaded victims of an educational
system that has replaced historical fact with out-of-control political
correctness.

Given that, I'm wondering now if there is anyone out there who would dare to
call Pfc. Piestewa, the first Native American servicewoman to die in combat,
a "squaw." I have been checking the newspaper headlines and the TV
broadcasts for days and I haven't seen it yet.

I have heard Pfc. Piestewa referred to as a "warrior" by her brother and as
a "hero" by friends and associates. She also has been described as a good
soldier and as a patriot, all of which is true.

But I have not heard anyone call her a "squaw." If the word were not
offensive, as so many claim, I would have expected it to be used many times
by now.

But it has not been used. And it will not be used. Because those who so
confidently and casually informed Native Americans and others that "squaw"
is not insulting or defamatory would never use the word to describe this
dedicated 23-year-old woman who was killed in Iraq.

On the day that Lori's death was confirmed by the Army a light snow fell in
Tuba City, her hometown. According to Hopi beliefs, the soul of a person who
has led a good and honorable life returns to Hopi land in the form of
precipitation. Lori Piestewa came home that day, but there were no reports
on television announcing the return of a "squaw."

Nor have I heard any of the radio talk show hosts who said the word "squaw"
is inoffensive use it to describe this good and gracious young mother who
died in the service of her nation.

Last month, state Rep. Jack Jackson Jr. introduced a bill in the Legislature
that would prohibit the state, counties and towns from using the word
"squaw" as part of the name of publicly funded roads, landmarks or
facilities.

"Most people, particularly Indian people, will say the word is demeaning and
offensive, especially to Indian woman," said Jackson, who is Navajo.

His proposal is considered an unnecessary overreaction by many and
completely inappropriate by others. One woman wrote a letter to the editor
of The Republic, saying, "I love these Indian words. I do not feel they are
unflattering in any way. They add romance to Arizona and bring to mind the
colorful history of the Indian people."

I wonder if those who agreed with her believe that now, or if they used the
word "squaw" when talking about Pfc. Piestewa. I wonder if the sight of
Piestewa's grieving family or the makeshift memorial outside of their Tuba
City home has changed their minds. I wonder if the photographs of Piestewa
in uniform, smiling, proud, have altered their view.

According to Rep. Jackson there are more than 1,000 sites around the nation
that use the word "squaw" in their names. We have many in Phoenix, including
a road that runs through the heart of the city and the jagged mountain
rising above it.

I don't know if politicians here have the guts to right an old wrong and at
the same time honor a fallen Arizona warrior. But I do like the sound of
Piestewa Peak.