Recent article on CJ - connotations of 'Bellevue' [risqué]

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 10 01:50:27 UTC 2003

>From: Jeffrey Kopp <jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Re: Recent article on CJ
>Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:15:56 -0700
>
>Haruo Ros' wrote:
>
> > OTOH, Washington State's *Bellevue* does *not* have the Bedlamite
> > connotations it might elsewhere.
>

>Ha. It did to me.
>
>Jeff (formerly another North Seattlite)

I think of the connotations of "Bellevue[, WA]" as having more to do with
class-and-caste stuff than with clinical insanity per se. The classic
example is the joke that goes

Q: What's the difference between a Ballard woman and a Bellevue woman?

A: In Ballard the diamonds are fake and the *orgasms* are real.

Apologies for the utter departure from topicality. BTW, we just had "a tolo"
at LWHS, not "a tolo dance". Of course, "a tolo" *was* "a dance". There; a
bit closer to the list's purpose. ;-)

lilEnd