Recent article on CJ - connotations of 'Bellevue' [risqué]

Tina Wynecoop wynecoop at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 10 05:17:32 UTC 2003

I have been wondering about "tolo" - remembering going to dances with that
name in high school, without even considering the source for the word.  The
listserv discussion causes me to ask if there is any connection between
"tolo" and "Toulou"?  My husband's grandmother chose to be enrolled on the
Spokane Reservation, since there was no longer a welcome mat out for Lakes
Indians north of the border.  Her sister chose to be enrolled on the
Colville Reservation, and through marriage became a "Toulou".

Tina Wynecoop
Colbert, WA

        ~

From: Ros' Haruo <lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM>
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Recent article on CJ - connotations of 'Bellevue' [risqué]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:50:27 +0000

>From: Jeffrey Kopp <jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Re: Recent article on CJ
>Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:15:56 -0700
>
>Haruo Ros' wrote:
>
> > OTOH, Washington State's *Bellevue* does *not* have the Bedlamite
> > connotations it might elsewhere.
>

>Ha. It did to me.
>
>Jeff (formerly another North Seattlite)

I think of the connotations of "Bellevue[, WA]" as having more to do with
class-and-caste stuff than with clinical insanity per se. The classic
example is the joke that goes

Q: What's the difference between a Ballard woman and a Bellevue woman?

A: In Ballard the diamonds are fake and the *orgasms* are real.

Apologies for the utter departure from topicality. BTW, we just had "a tolo"
at LWHS, not "a tolo dance". Of course, "a tolo" *was* "a dance". There; a
bit closer to the list's purpose. ;-)

lilEnd