tyee / tia

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Sat Apr 19 21:56:35 UTC 2003

> If we assume that "tia" was an attempt to spell a word pronounced
> something like [taye:], then this probably was a Chinookan pronunciation
> of tayi.  In Lower Chinook (and also in other varieties of Chinookan? I
> forget) the phoneme /i/ often tended to get lowered and lengthened to
> [e:] when it was stressed. The accute accent over the a in tia makes
> this seem even more likely.

That might explain a Chinookan pronunciation of Jargon (from Nootkan) tayi, but
it won't explain why Silverstein and Moore (cited by Moulton as authority for
the Chinookan notes) would claim that there were two words, Jargon tayi and
Chinookan tia (if indeed they DID claim that, as opposed to an editor somehow
garbling things here; Rob Moore, are you still lurking out there?).  For the LC
journal entry appearing in Moulton v. 6 p. 163, "our near neighbour Chief (or
tia)," a note on p. 164 reads:  "in Chinookan the term is tia [italicized].  In
the Chinook jargon it is tayi [italicized], which is borrowed from the Nooktan
word ta:yi: [ital.]; all mean 'chief'."  I wrote to Dell Hymes some time ago
about this:  he finds no word like tia in any of his Chinookan sources;
moreover, "it does not look like a Chinookan noun at all."  On the other hand,
the LC journal entry in Moulton v. 6 p. 81, "ti-a, co-mo-shack which Chief
beads," could be perfectly OK Chinookan, granting only that the original
meaning was "his beads" (he being the chief?).  A note on p. 82 interprets the
Chinookan as tiaq'musakS [italicized; stress over u; S = shibilant].  Hymes
parses:

t-ia-q'mus-akS
PL/prefix-his-bead-PL/suffix

--Henry