"Klooch" example from R. Service poem

Scott Tyler scottmd at ATTBI.COM
Tue Apr 22 03:15:30 UTC 2003

! tlaXayam na siks koopa tsinook wawa illahi !

nika mamook wawa-shanty-ikta (poem) pi nika mamook yaka chakoo kopet

spoos wawa-ikta tenas hee hee pi tenas shaantey kakwa, pi tenas ye'im ikta.

nika tiqqi mesika chaakoo tloosh tomtom, pi mamook wawa kakwa pompom
(rhyme).

yakwa wawa-shanty-ikta yaka wawa klooch, tolo pi wawa hiyoo wawa-ikta
(words)

kloosh nanitch!

Greetings friends in Chinook language site !

I made a poem and finally it is finished.

I hope it is a little humorous, a little nice sounding, and a little like a
tale.

I hope it lifts your heart a little and rhymes in wawa.

It uses the words kloosh and tolo and many other words.

Take care!

scott

Charlie Come Quickly

! chaa:::li chaakoo 'ayaq !

! klaas klataa:::wa koopa kayak !

tillikum ipsoot waa:::waa

ikt cheechaako yaka tlak ilwaako

kapswalla mayka klooch

pi lolo yaka yaa:::wa

Charlie come quickly!  They go by kayak!  The people rumor a newcomer from
Ilwaco stole your lady, and took her away.

klaaska mamook ipsoot issik

pi tomtom chaali chaakoo-sik

klaas klataawa koopa sal'chuk pi tum waata

koopa pil chuk pi wekoma

koopa kloosh illahee pi tahoma

yaawa tenino pahl buttaply pi 'ayas lamontai

They stole away and Charlie saddened.

They paddled on the salt water by the falls, by the Red River and the bay,

by Seattle and and Tacoma,  there by the Valley of the Butterflies and the
great Mountain,

klaaska kl'ap sho

yaka klimin pollaly pi yootlkat

alta klaas ko ok p'ishaq wayhut

They reached shore at Long Beach, and arrived at the path of error.

hiyoo tillikum klak chimakum

klaaska waawaa yaka skookum-man

spoos yaka klak ok nani-tlan

Many from Chimmicum say he is a powerful man for he is from the Grizzly Clan

 ! 'ey chaali !

? klonas mayka k'was pi sik ?

? na mayka tiqqi sqwidiilich stik ?

alta mamook kawak mayka tah

kloosh mayka nanich qa pi qa

Hey Charlie!  Perhaps you are afraid and sick.  Do you need the sqwidiilich
stick?  This stick will make your spirit soar, and you will see here and
there,

spoos mayka klaawa klataawa kimtah

koopa klaaska, spoos klah yaawa alaaska

alta kloosh nanich hiloo k'was man

spoos yaka klak ok nani tlan

Maybe you will follow after them, even unto Alaska.

Now, beware brave man for he is from the Grizzly Clan.

delate solliks pahl tomtom okok chaali

 yaka chaakoo pahl klahaani

kakwa oopooch pahl hooch

spoos howkwatl kopet tiqqi yaka tlooch

! hwah::::: ! chaali yaka lemah iskam opitsah

! anah::::: ! cheechako iskam opitsah yaka siks

okok ikta munk chaali kaakwa pelton

Hate filled the heart of Charlie and he went wild like a drunken ass, unable
to stop wanting his woman.  For shame!  Charlie had a knife in hand.  Such
pain!  The new guy had his beloved's hand.  And this made Charlie crazy.

chaali tomtom

? na nika tl'ap yaka win' spoos saXaali tyee potlatch win' koopa nika ?

yaka kloosh tomtom chakoo hiloo kakwa tenas win'

Charlie thinks.  Do I want to take his life when the Chief Above has given
me life?

Like a breeze his good thoughts disappeared.

wa::::wa delate wa::::wa na siks

keXchee mayka kloochman klataawa maymee

konamakts huloyma spoos leelee

yakwa tlooch tl'ap mayka tomtom

pi deleyt k'ow yaka kwansim

Say: Speak the truth my friend!  Even though she went away with another for
a time

She captured your heart, bound it forever,

anqatti tillikum waawaa,

spoos siwaash okok hiloo tillikum elahaan

nawitka memaloos pi yaka hiyoo tlemahaan

The Ancient ones say,

One whom none can help is one mortally wounded

! chee::::

! chaali tiqqi chakoo chukkin oopooch ok cheechako

! kwi::::sh

! spoos kultus koopa chaali okok nani-man

! spoos mamook looloo koopa ilwaako-man

Immediately, Charlie wants to kick the bottom of this new guy.

Nay!  Charlie cared not that he was a Grizzly man.  He wanted to teach that
Ilwaco a lesson.

delate chaali nanich koopa siwaash illahee

yaka chaakoo klah ikt man klak nani-tlan

delate hiyoo nanich yaka

klaaska mamook q'ull si'awoost koopa klaaska

Charlie searched Indian Country and came upon this man from the Grizzly
Clan.  He gave him a good look.  They took a hard look at each other.

wik' mayka heehee

cheechako yaka hiloo toktee-ee

yakso itswoot kaakwa

pi towah chakchak kaakwa

letah kawaad kaakwa

yaka hyas kwolan pi

ledoo hyas kaakwa sammon

lapoosh pooly kaakwa hum

spoos mamook chaakooyootl'hl okok nani tillikum

The newcomer was not handsome; hairy like a bear, nails like talons, teeth
of a killer whale, fingers as big as salmon, bad breath like excrement, this
man made the Grizzly people proud

kaakwa pi weXt

chaali hiloo yaka pooty tyee

pi wawa kaakwa hiyoo cheechee

yaka yootskut, pi deleyt kleese kaakwa,

ya mamook tleyak kaakwa kilitsut,

lepee'ah yaka kywa, yakso kywa ikta kaakwa,

pi letah kaakwa eena

yaka hayas emeek, pi kwolan tl'ap alikacheek

ya si'awoost klah kaakwa

okok mamook kloosh spoos mitlite-sik

chaali yaka lateyt kaakwa deleyt siks

Likewise, Charlie was no pretty chief, with a voice of  a  little bird, he
was short, greasy, sparky like flint,  crooked feet, beaver toothed, a hunch
back, he wore a shell ear ring. He had clear eyes that make whole the sick,
and a face that of the True Friend.

yaka lemah kaakwa lummiye okok mamook opekwan

pi lapush pahl hiloo kloosh waawa konsih hiloo yaka kwan,

spoos anah hiyoo kwolan

yaka delate waawaa kaakwa kiyah

pi shantey kaakwa kahkah

kloosh yaka haws pahl talapus tamaanowas

spoos tomtom hiloo yaka tinas

He had the hands of an old basket weaver, and a mouth full of bad words when
angered or agitated.  His talk hurt many-a-ear,  his straight talk was
pretty convoluted. (like intestines), he sang like a crow.  Lucky his house
was full of the Coyote spirit and  his heart big.

klaa::::ska nanich, klaa::::ska kumteks, klaa::::ska mamook kywa iktas

alta klaaska mamook lolo

kaakwa makst talapus lemolo

alqi ikt siwash mitwit pi yaka chaakoo tolo

klaaska mamook hyas mesaachi

deleyt skookum latlah

tillikum klaas kumteks klah yaawa wenachee

They look, they know, they make a mess.  Like two wild coyotes they haul out
after each other.  Eventually, one man will stand the victor.  They make
trouble, a big racket that could be heard clear over to Wenatche.

klaas kooli kweokweo weXt pi weXt

ilwaako yaka wik' memaloos kaakwa tenas man

yaka mamook kahdeena kaakwa hlakataaX tillikum

pi mamook tloosh ikta koopa nani-tlan

They run round and round.  And Ilwaco refuses to die like a little man.  He
makes war like Klikitat Tribesman.  And thus makes good the Grizzly clan.

yaka kl'ap chaali kaakwa ikik iskum pish

sahaali hwah!  chaali ya q'ull tamolitsh

yaka tsikamin lemah mamook keelapay

spoos mamook anah ilwaako yaka itwillay

cheechako tomtom yaka mamook hyas tseepee

yaka tiqqi kooli kaakwa kwitshadee-ee

He catches Charlie like a hook snags a fish.  My lord!  Charlie is tough as
a bucket.  He returns as iron fist and hurts Ilwaco.  That newcomer thinks
he has made a big mistake and wants to run like a rabbit.

klaaska pahl solliks kaakwa pahl chuk

hiyoo koko lateyt pi mamook mukamuk

klaaska chuk-chukkin

pi mamook toh pilpil pi pukpuk-kin

klaaska tl'ap klaaska pi keelapay weXt pi weXt

ikt san klaaska mamook kywa ikta

They were brim full with anger, bumping heads, biting, kicking, spitting
blood and punching.  They latched on to each other, rolling over and over,
mixed it up all day long.

klaaska hiyoo kooli pi til-til nawitka

klaas deleyt whim pi pilpil mamook ipsoot ikta

alta kopet

They ran until they were exhausted.  They dropped, covered with blood, they
were finished.

deleyt mayka kumteks

chaali yaka tolo pi huloyma yaka tsolo

chaali kish kish yaka yaawa

pi kaakwa ol'e ts'eek ts'eek yaka kywa kooli koopa bakooba

spoos hiloo nanich yaka pi weXt

You know Charlie won and the stranger lost.  Charlie drove him off.  And
like an old wagon he wobbled off to Vancouver, never to be seen again.

kaakwa ol'e talapus chaali munk klakwan yaka klemahan

pi lolo yaka kloochman koopa yaka haws.

kanaawi klaas kumteks talapus yaka hiloo siks okok itswoot.

spoos qiwa kanaawi ikta, alta wawa yakwa

Like an old Coyote Charlie licked his wounds.  He carried his lady home.
Everyone knows coyotes are not friendly toward bears because of these
events.

alta naawitka!  hiyoo anqatti tillikam waawaa

kapswalla hiloo tomtom pi mihlayt kwan kwansim

Now surely, the ancient ones say,

"steal no hearts and live in peace always"

ooshtaqi/scott