[fwd] Reply from T. Kishkan Re: "Indian candy" [fwd from ADS-L list]

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Apr 22 05:25:21 UTC 2003

Subject:    Re: "Indian candy" [fwd from ADS-L list]
  Date:    Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:26 EST
  From:    tkishkan at uniserve.com (Theresa Kishkan)
  To:    "David D. Robertson" <ddr11 at columbia.edu>
 « Previous  |  Next »

"Indian candy" is a common term for this sort of salmon on the coast of B.C.
(I am hoping Terry Glavin will jump in here.) You can find it on Granville
Island Market in Vancouver, for instance, and in the fancy delis and so
forth in Kitsilano. I've never heard "squaw candy" used for this treat. The
fishermen I know here in the Pender Harbour area all have a number of ways
to smoke or otherwise preserve fish; "Indian candy" is one of the results.
The next time I see someone from Egmont, where many of the fishermen are of
Portuguese and Sechelt ancestry, I'll ask what they consider to be "Indian
candy".

Theresa Kishkan