cj translations

Linda Fink linda at FINK.COM
Fri Aug 22 19:49:41 UTC 2003

spore nika mamaloose, nika hiyou siwashe silex,

I think this works fine (with spose instead of spore) as "if you kill" (me
understood from previous sentence begging to trade money and horses for his
life), "you will make many Indians angry". When in a hurry, no need to add
the extra pronoun. Or it could be mistyped and should have been "spose mika
mamaloose . . ." if I die . . .   but I'd vote for it as is meaning "if you
kill (me)"

On the other hand, I don't see how you can tell the meaning of

">last words of Kanasket, one of the leaders in the Cascade
>mountains, "Kanasket! Nawitka!--Tyee--Mamelouse nica--nica mamelouse
Bostons"

without knowing more of the context. It could be he has been captured, knows
he will die, and says, "Indeed, I am Kanasket, Chief, go ahead and kill me,
I have killed your people." A sort of defiant acceptance. Do you have any
more of the story to go on?

jmo... Linda Fink