"Kopet: a documentary narrative of Chief Joseph's last years"

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Sun Aug 24 22:48:19 UTC 2003

my impression is that it was more common for Nez Perce speakers to
converse in CJ with Pushtins than it was for other indigenous speakers.
  one has to remember that multilingualism was a common feature among
Plateau speech communities which would seem to diminish rather than
strengthen a need for CJ.  because CJ crossed ethnic lines, however, it
seemed easier to use CJ when CJ was present as in the case with
Pushtins.  historical records for northweastern oregon is rich with CJ
interactions with the Nez Perce.

here is a short speech by Chief Joseph (from Kopet):

Nika tum tum pe mika tumtum kwak nesam cooley kahkwa; delate tilikums,
mika pe nika.

My heart and your heart always run close together so; good friends, you
and I.  (Gidley 1981:61)

i would be interested in your comments or impressions on this phrase
and its translation (which is not mine, btw).  i also have digitized
the CJ hymn that is sung by the Nez Perce from 1911 (found in a 2 CD
set through the Northwest Interpretive Association).  I have also
attempted to digitally enhance it using Soundforge with limited success.

phil cash cash (cayuse/nez perce)