Kwitshadie and other "aberrations"

Nadja Adolf yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 26 19:34:34 UTC 2003

Contrary to Chris' opinion, and possibly that of
others, the issue isn't the people at GR who are
trying to desperately preserve their language and
culture.

The aggravation has come more from the linguistics
end. An example of the situation is the word
"kwitshadie." "Kwitshadie" is a word widely used in
parts of the Pacific Northwest; cowponies get named
"Kwitshadie." This word was not used at GR.

The fact that the word wasn't used at GR should be no
major issue; and people should know it wasn't used
there. But it isn't as much the information as the
manner in which it is given - informing people that
they need to say something different BECAUSE it wasn't
used at GR is much different than informing them
simply that at GR a different terminology was used.
The latter approach means that if someone is at GR
they should use the other terminology; the former
approach suggests that the use of the word is outside
some canon.

See the difference?

On a cheerier note, I remember a conversation I had
with my father maybe 15-20 years ago. We were reading
a book about Pacific Northwest shipwrecks, and it
included the rather funny story of a non-disaster
where a boiler went dry and didn't blow. The quote in
the book was on the lines of "Skookum kettling halo
chuck."
My father paused and wondered if the word meant was
actually "skukoom" not "skookum." The "kettling" in
question was the boiler of a ship - and he wondered if
the engineer of the boat had meant "demonic kettle"
not "strong kettle." Dad's version of the Wawa was the
"pidgin" of Puget Sound and the inland Columbia Basin
and Yakima Valley - he didn't speak Yakama, he didn't
speak GR creole. But he had enough of an idea of
expression to formulate the question.

Despite Dave's remarks, the methodology he suggests
for learning the language is expensive. Making friends
at GR means having the opportunity to come and
actually hang out; but travel is expensive. Long
distance telephone is expensive. Buying books is
expensive.

As for the orthography wars, I surrendered some months
back. B^) Why the subject has been reopened is beyond
me. My only strong opinion on the subject is that the
orthography should have at least one form that can be
done using the standard ASCII character set.