Another question on the KW text containing SAIN

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Dec 13 17:44:48 UTC 2003

Klahawiam, Colin,

Thanks for your question.  The word /pus/ is part of the core of a little
study I've just written.  You've got a good insight into how /pus/ works,
I think: it does sort of give a verb a 'subjunctive / conditional' feel.
(Even more so among some speakers at Grand Ronde, but here I'm talking
about Kamloops Wawa.)  You could think of /pus/ as meaning 'that' in the
sense of '...that he (should) do it,' or 'for' in the sense of '(I
want)...for you to do it.'

So this is used, kind of like subjunctives in European languages, mostly
to talk about someone trying to manipulate somebody else to do something.
(Linguists: I'm borrowing and changing some of T. Givon's terms.)
Examples include ordering / asking / praying / gesturing for someone to do
something.

The original meaning of /pus/, as far as I know, is 'for' or 'if.'  The
word is still used that way in all varieties of Jargon.  Of course bear in
mind that some folks says /spus/ or /spos/ instead, and those folks often
seem to me like their Jargon is more influenced by English.  For example
they might say /spos/ for 'if,' but /kopa/ for 'for' (and maybe no word at
all where Kamloops Wawa would use the subjunctive /pus/).  Invented
examples:

/SPOS maika klatwa, wawa klahawiam./     'If you're leaving, say goodbye.'
/Yaka patlach naika iht dala KOPA ukuk musmus./     'He gave me a dollar
for that cow.'
/Nsaika tiki [NO WORD HERE] maika chako iakwa./     'We want you to come
here.'

Hope this brief sketch conveys some information.

Cheers,

--Dave R.