CJ words in Alaskan Haida: From what source?

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Thu Mar 27 20:04:41 UTC 2003

Forms with -an are also recorded as Chinuk Wawa (though not from Grand Ronde,
as far as I know; Sam Johnson's dissertation lists sources with both forms).
Kinkade records Upper Chehalis /q'ElaXan'/ (p. 110 of his dictionary).
Harrington's elicitations from Emma Luscier have the minus-an form, given both
as Jargon and as Lower Chehalis.  Could the word be ultimately from Salish,
with the -an : minus-an forms tracing to different Salish source forms?  Henry