CJ words in Alaskan Haida: From what source?

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Mar 27 16:33:00 UTC 2003

About the -an in Haida (and other CJ) /q'alaXan/, I take it to be a Salish
verbal suffix.  As Tony knows, Salish (e.g. Lower Chehalis language) and
Chinookan historically have been spoken in the same territory in
southwestern Washington state.  Oftentimes identical words appear in both
languages, to the extent that it's hard to tell which language a term
originated in.  Could be that a stem /q'alaX/ was handled as a Salish word
by Salish-speakers (and could therefore be suffixed with -an), and as a
Chinookan word by Chinookan-speakers.

There seem to be other examples of "petrified" Salish suffixed forms in
Jargon.  Some of the CJ words ending in -um / -Em / -am come to
mind; /musum/ "sleep", and /sich'um/ "swim", both look & feel like they
have that slippery Salish -m suffix that behaves like a middle voice, a
passive, etc. etc.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:10:58 -0800, Tony Johnson
<Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG> wrote:

>LaXayEm khanawi-Laksta,
>
>Very interesting Dave.  Seems too coincidental to be anything but from a
Native source.  Wikna?  I don't know about the -an,  Is that a Haida
suffix?  As Dave knows our word for fence is "q'alaX" (from Chinookan).  It
is an awfully good match.