squaw

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Sun Mar 30 23:14:38 UTC 2003

Klahowya kapa kanaway mesika,
Nika delate sick tomtom spose ikt ikt tillicum kapa okoke Chinook List yaka sick tomtom spose nika
wawa "squaw".

Earlier I posted a note on my feelings about the use of the word "squaw".  I hope there were not any
hurt feelings regarding that note.  I am truely sorry if there were.  And I would like to to my
earlier note:  I feel that "Squaw" is still used by a modern people who's modern language is worthy
of respect and honour.  I like the publicly discussed idea of giving Cree official status as one of
the major founding languages of Canada (of course not to the exclusion of other first nations
languages which deserve as much support as possible).  I like the idea of reading Cree on my cereal
box every morning along with English and French.  And I would like to some day hear a Canadian
Polititician use the address the parliment using "Squaw" as a term of respect along with "Ladies"
and "Mes Dames".  Because I think it deserves that respect.

Since this is a CJ list and we should really be talking about CJ I've included an attempt at a
Jargon translation of a poem about language politics by a Québecoise Poete, Michèle Lalonde.  She
has used the upsetting and deplorable phrase "Speak White" to mean not only "Canadian English", the
same language that I speak at home, but also any other language of oppression which may force a
population to change the way they use their own words.

I have also seen the word "squaw" in some chinook dictionaries.  I wonder how common it was in the
pacific northwest and whether any current CJ dialects use it?

"Speak White" by Michèle Lalonde, poorly translated into Chinook Jargon.    I think it's a powerful
expression about the missuse of language.
Please feel free to comment, correct my bad Chinook or offer an alternate style as I would love hear
your thoughts.
I have inlcuded the poem in Chinook Jargon, French and then English.  .  .   below

                                            Speak White
                                      kloooshe kumtuks mesika
                                      wawa kapa Paradise Lost
                          pe kapa chum toketie pi halo nim yaka shughshugh
                                    kapa Shakespeare yaka sonnet

                               nesika cultus tillicum pe kokshut wawa
                  keschie wake kopet nesika kwolan kapa okoke kamtaks kapa lalang
                                mesika wawa kakwa Milton pe Byron pe
                                          Shelly pe Keats

                                            speak white
                         pe mosh stoh nesika spose halo nesika wawa kilapi
                      keshie yootlyootl shantie kapa nesika ancuttie tillicums
                                    pe Nelligan yaka sick tumtum

                                            speak white
                                   mesika wawa kapa huloima ikta
                                 mesika wawa kapa Okoke Hayas Pepa
                                    pe okoke stone kapa Lincoln
                                    pe spooh toketie kapa Thames
                                       pil chuck kapa Potomac
                         mesika wawa kapa kahta kwanesum mesika mamook ikta
                                        tanas nesika kumtaks
                                   keschie skookum nesika tikegh
                                    kanaway klosh kapa crumpets
                                      pe kapa Boston Tea Party
                              keschie kanji mesika delate speak white
                                kanji mesika get down to brass tacks

                                     wawa kapa gracious living
                                 pe wawa kapa kahta kloshe mitlite
                                         pe kapa Hay Mukmuk
                            alta tanas weght skookum mesika speak white
                            mesika mamook skookum mesika wawa kakwa tyee
                                     nesika tenas kopet kwolan
                              nesika mitlite hyiu hyiu wake saya moola
                    pe halo nesika kumtuks keschie nesika win saghalie lamashine

                                       speak white pe skookum
                                        spose nesika kumtuks
                                 kapa Saint-Henrie à Saint-Domingue
                                   nawitka klaksta kloshe lalang
                                            spose iskum
                                         spose mosh tumtum
                   mamook kloshe okoke tintin kanjie chako mimaloost kapa mamook
                                  pe tanas kopet okoke mamook kol
                                          pe potlatch tala

                                            speak white
                                tell us that God is a great big shot
                                  and that we're paid to trust him
                                            speak white
                   mesika wawa nesika kapa production profits pe sitkam takamonak
                                            speak white
                                      lalang yaka hyiu mitlite
                                         spose iskum makook
                                   keschie spose mosh makook selp
                              keschie spose mosh makook skookum tumtum
                                   keschie spose mosh makook selp
                                               kwish!
                                            speak white
                                              big deal
                                     keschie spose wawa mesika
                                 okeoke kwanesum kapa ikt kwatl sun
                                             spose yiem
                           kanaway sun spose tillicum klaska hyiu nanits
                          keschie kilapi kah nesika mitilte kapa polaklie
                         kapa okoke tintin elip sun yaka getup kla saghalie
                                           klaska wayhut
                           keschie wawa mesika, nawitka, sun klatawa bed
                  kwanesum sun nesika mithwit kah san klatawa kapa mesika empires
                           halo makook lalang kanamoxt pahtl illahie wawa
                                 nesika wawa wake hyiu halo illahie
                           chako chum kapa pahtl illahie glees pe lagles

                                            speak white
                               mesika mitlite kloshe kapa mesika wawa
                                           nesika saliks
                        keschie wake kloshe nesika wawa peshak kapa klaksta
                                       yaka mitlite monopoly
                                     yaka mamook kloshe lalang

                              kapa okoke klimin wawa kakwa Shakespeare
                                     kakwa Longfellow yaka wawa
                     mesika wawa Pasayoks wawa halo illahie pe masachie takope
                                   kakwa kapa Viet-Nam kapa Congo
                               mesika wawa hayas kloshe Duchman wawa
                                    kakawah chilchil kapa letah
                    mesika wawa Russia wawa, wawa chako kloshe, kwutl kikwillie
                                            speak white
                               ikt lalang kapa kanaway okoke illahie
                               nesika chako mosh tanas spose kumtuks
                                       kanamoxt yaka wawa cly
                                     kanamoxt yaka wawa kokshut

                                            speak white
                              yiem kilpay about Freedom and Democracy
                               nesika kumtuks "stoh" yaka klale wawa
                                   kakwa sick tumtum yaka niggin
                    pe kakwa pilpil chako kapa illahie kapa wayhut kapa Algiers

                                        pe kapa Little Rock

                                            speak white
                        kapa Westminster kapa Washington mesika klatawa wawa
                                 speak white kakwa kapa Wall street
                                       white kakwa kapa Watts
                                            be civilized
                               pe kumtuks nesika wawa kata yaka chako
                               kanjie mesika wawa nesika kakwa kloshe
                                           how do you do
                                   pe mesika kumtuks nesika wawa
                                       we're doing all right
                                          we're doing fine
                                                 we
                                           are not alone

                                           nesika kumtuks
                                       halo nesika kopet ikt.

                                          Michèle Lalonde

  This is Michèle Lalondes original version in French  The English version follows directly after
                                            this.  .  .

                                            Speak white
                                  il est si beau de vous entendre
                                      parler de Paradise Lost
                            ou du profil gracieux et anonyme qui tremble
                                  dans les sonnets de Shakespeare

                               nous sommes un peuple inculte et bègue
                          mais ne sommes pas sourds au génie d'une langue
                             parlez avec l'accent de Milton et Byron et
                                          Shelley et Keats

                                            speak white
                             et pardonnez-nous de n'avoir pour réponse
                               que les chants rauques de nos ancêtres
                                     et le chagrin de Nelligan

                                            speak white
                                    parlez de choses et d'autres
                                  parlez-nous de la Grande Charte
                                      ou du monument à Lincoln
                                    du charme gris de la Tamise
                                      de l'eau rose du Potomac
                                   parlez-nous de vos traditions
                                 nous sommes un peuple peu brillant
                                   mais fort capable d'apprécier
                                  toute l'importance des crumpets
                                       ou du Boston Tea Party
                                 mais quand vous really speak white
                                 quand vous get down to brass tacks

                                   pour parler du gracious living
                                    et parler du standard de vie
                                      et de la Grande Société
                                 un peu plus fort alors speak white
                                 haussez vos voix de contremaîtres
                                 nous sommes un peu durs d'oreille
                                 nous vivons trop près des machines
                       et n'entendons que notre souffle au-dessus des outils

                                        speak white and loud
                                         qu'on vous entende
                                  de Saint-Henri à Saint-Domingue
                                    oui quelle admirable langue
                                           pour embaucher
                                         donner des ordres
                                fixer l'heure de la mort à l'ouvrage
                                   et de la pause qui rafraîchit
                                       et ravigote le dollar

                                            speak white
                                tell us that God is a great big shot
                                  and that we're paid to trust him
                                            speak white
                           parlez-nous production profits et pourcentages
                                            speak white
                                       c'est une langue riche
                                            pour acheter
                                        mais pour se vendre
                                 mais pour se vendre à perte d'âme
                                        mais pour se vendre
                                                ah!
                                            speak white
                                              big deal
                                        mais pour vous dire
                                   l'éternité d'un jour de grève
                                           pour raconter
                                    une vie de peuple-concierge
                                mais pour rentrer chez nous le soir
                       à l'heure où le soleil s'en vient crever au-dessus des
                                              ruelles
                        mais pour vous dire oui que le soleil se couche oui
                           chaque jour de nos vies à l'est de vos empires
                                  rien ne vaut une langue à jurons
                                   notre parlure pas très propre
                                   tachée de cambouis et d'huile

                                            speak white
                                    soyez à l'aise dans vos mots
                                  nous sommes un peuple rancunier
                                   mais ne reprochons à personne
                                        d'avoir le monopole
                                    de la correction de langage

                                dans la langue douce de Shakespeare
                                    avec l'accent de Longfellow
                             parlez un français pur et atrocement blanc
                                     comme au Viet-Nam au Congo
                                   parlez un allemand impeccable
                                  une étoile jaune entre les dents
                       parlez russe parlez rappel à l'ordre parlez répression
                                            speak white
                                    c'est une langue universelle
                                 nous sommes nés pour la comprendre
                                     avec ses mots lacrymogènes
                                      avec ses mots matraques

                                            speak white
                             tell us again about Freedom and Democracy
                              nous savons que liberté est un mot noir
                                     comme la misère est nègre
                      et comme le sang se mêle à la poussière des rues d'Alger

                                         ou de Little Rock

                                            speak white
                              de Westminster à Washington relayez-vous
                                  speak white comme à Wall Street
                                        white comme à Watts
                                            be civilized
                             et comprenez notre parler de circonstance
                                 quand vous nous demandez poliment
                                           how do you do
                                   et nous entendez vous répondre
                                       we're doing all right
                                          we're doing fine
                                                 we
                                           are not alone

                                            nous savons
                                   que nous ne sommes pas seuls.

                                          Michèle Lalonde

                     English Version, Please excuse my poor translation.  .  .

                                            Speak white
                                   it is so wonderful to hear you
                                    to speak about Paradise Lost
                           or of the gracious outline and anonymity which
                                              trembles
                                    in the sonnets of Shakespeare

                            we are an unsophisticated people, stammerers
                          but we are not deaf to the genius of a language
                           spoken with the accent of Milton and Byron and
                                          Shelley and Keats

                                            speak white
                          and pardon us for not having an better response
                              than the raucous songs of our ancestors
                                     and the sorrow of Nelligan

                                            speak white
                                      speak about this and that
                                speak to us about the Great Charter
                                     or of the Lincoln Memorial
                                  of the gray charm of the Thames
                                    of the rose water of Potomac
                                  speak to us about your traditions
                                        we are a dim people
                                    but well able to appreciate
                                 the all importance of the crumpets
                                     or of the Boston Tea Party
                                  but when you really speak white
                                  when you get down to brass tacks

                                 to speak about the gracious living
                                and speech of the standard of living
                                        and of High Society
                                then a little more loudly speak white
                                 raise your voices like the foremen
                                  we are a little hard of hearing
                                  we live too close to the machines
                          and we can just hear our breath above the tools

                                        speak white and loud
                                         that you are heard
                          on the subject of Saint-Henri in Saint-Domingue
                                   yes such an admirable language
                                              to engage
                                           to give orders
                                    to fix the hour quitting time
                                  and of the pause which refreshes
                                    and doling out of the dollar

                                            speak white
                               tell us that God is has great big shot
                                  and that we're paid to trust him
                                            speak white
                           speak to us production profits and percentages
                                            speak white
                                        it is a rich language
                                               to buy
                                           but to be sold
                                    but to be sold without a soul
                                           but to be sold
                                                ah!
                                            speak white
                                              big deal
                                          just to tell you
                                in the eternity of one day of strike
                                              to tell
                                  of a life of a caretaker people
                            just to go back to our homes in the evening
                       until hour when the sun come forth to burst above lanes
                             just to tell you yes the sun lies down yes
                          each day of our lives in the east of your empires
                                nothing is worth a language of curses
                                  our dirty little way of speaking
                                    stained with grease and oil

                                            speak white
                                    be comfortable in your words
                                      we are a rancorous people
                                 but we do not speak ill of anybody
                                         who has a monopoly
                                    on the correction of language

                                in the soft language of Shakespeare
                                    with the accent of Longfellow
                              speak pure French and atrociously white
                                      as in Viet-Nam or Congo
                                      speak impeccable German
                                  a yellow star between your teeth
                           speak Russian to make a call to order to speak
                                             repression
                                            speak white
                                     it is a universal language
                                we were born to include/understand it
                                       with its tearful words
                                     with its bludgeoning words

                                            speak white
                              tell us again about Freedom and Democracy
                               we know that liberation is a dark word
                                         as misery is black
                           and as blood mixes with dust of the streets of
                                              Algieria

                                          or of Little Rock

                                            speak white
                              from Westminster to Washington relay it