"Ghost bread"

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri May 9 04:05:19 UTC 2003

On the premise that this list also deals with geographically neighboring
languages of the Pacific Northwest, a question about "ghost bread".  This
is the name used in English for a Haida word, referring to a kind of
tree "shelf" fungus.

Is this term known in English outside Haida territory?

Why is it called "ghost bread"?

Using Google, I found only 1 hit that's related at all, but which was no
help answering my questions.  Apparently a more common Native-related use
of the phrase "ghost bread" is as a synonym for "fry bread".

Did Chinook Jargon play any role in the coining of "ghost bread" in the NW?