I. Hancock re "Saibashi" in Canadian Japanese

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 13 05:07:56 UTC 2003

I still wonder though whether in the form in which the Canadian Japanese
immigrants encountered the word it may have been more voyageur-French than
Chinook Jargon, and may have retained the French consonant ("v") even though
the vowel may have shifted. "-bashi" (or "-baji") would be normal Japanese
realizations of "-vage", since "v" is a foreign sound in Japanese, usually
realized as "b" (cf. "terebi" japonization of "televi[sion]", the normal
Japanese word for the telly).

lilEnd <=> haruo

        ROS' Haruo / 204 N 39th / Seattle WA 98103 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html
      ("la Esperantisto antauxe nomata Liland Brajant Ros'")