"Saibashi" in Canadian Japanese

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Thu May 15 05:51:01 UTC 2003

No, Sorry Yann,

I never did hear Mrs. Tsunota speak about First Nations People in Japanese.  Being on the otherside
of the world from home I can't just pop over for a visit.  Sooo, I'll have to see if I can organise
one of my cousins to ask.

Just for historical interest, I grew up in Hope, BC, which was near the Infamous WWII Tashme
Internment Camp.  Many of the Japanese Names in the town, (Sato, Kawaguchi, Murakami, Tsunota off
the top of my head) came from people who settled after their release.  Tashme is of course not a
Japanese Word but a composite of the surnames of the three members of the B.C. Security Commission:
TA for Austin C. Taylor; SH for John Shirras; and ME for F.J. Mead.
A very sad story.

janilta <janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP>@LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG> on 15-05-2003 10:43:03

Please respond to janilta <janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP>

Sent by:  The Chinook List <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>