"Salt chuck" in a surprising place

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Wed May 21 04:43:41 UTC 2003

Maybe BC Fraser Valley English still uses "in the chuck" to mean "overboard" and "salt chuck" to
mean "ocean."  I thought these were everyday terms in the 80's.  We also used "chumming" for
sprinkling eggs food on the water to attract fish.  And of course "skookum" is still everywhere.

"David D. Robertson" <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU>@LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG> on 21-05-2003 14:28:29

Please respond to "David D. Robertson" <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU>

Sent by:  The Chinook List <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>