Help wanted on a few questions

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Sep 9 00:01:44 UTC 2003

Klahawiam!

In a stretch of several pages of "Kamloops Wawa" that I'm working on,
there are several items that I'd like to ask for help on.

(1) Is the phrase <casyi manito awasis> from an Algonquian language?

(2) Was the phrase "steed horse" ever used in English?

(3) Can you help me find the meaning of this phrase in Shuswap Salish
(Secwepemctsin) that ends a letter?

     Putushhohwait n tkamlups.
     Nshawa [Louis Chef]
     Nshawa l [Celestin Chilihitsa]
     Nshawa l [Pere Le Jeune]

(4) Is there a better English translation for the Chinook Jargon phrase
<katikism haws> than "catechism house"?

(5) Can you help me figure out what the word <ship> means in K.W.?  It's
something edible that came in cans, but it's just not coming to me.  Note
could stand for <e>.

Hayu masi,

--Dave