Velar "k" vs. English "k"?

Tom Larsen larsent at PDX.EDU
Wed Sep 10 15:53:29 UTC 2003

Unfortunately it's not only the phonetic symbols that change over time
but also the terminology used to describe them.  In Boas' time the
"English k" was sometimes called a "palatal" sound (though perhaps not
by Boas in this case).  Now days "palatal" is used to descibe sounds
that are farther forward than the English k (i.e., sounds where the
tongue touches, or at least approaches, the "hard palate"), while the
English k now is usual is described as a "velar" sound (the back part of
the tongue touches, or at least approaches the "velum", aka the "soft
palate").  This is the terminaology that George Yule is using.  In Boas'
time sounds that were farther back than the English k were called
"velar", whereas now days such sounds are usually called "uvular" (the
very back part of the tongue touches, or at least approaches, the
"uvula", that funny thing that hangs down back in your throat). Some
people call these latter sounds "postvelar" rather than "uvular".  Boas'
q is similar in sound to the Arabic letter whose name is sometimes
transliterated as "qaaf".  Boas' k is similar to the Arabic letter whose
name is sometimes transliterated as "kaaf".

Tom