Velar "k" vs. English "k"?

Nadja Adolf yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 10 22:32:51 UTC 2003

Thanks.

Another question:

In the dialect of Arabic that I am studying (Cairene),
the qaaf is pronounced with the tongue low, and the
throat closed enough to make it a bit explosive - but
the kaaf is essentially an English k without
aspiration as in the word "likewise" as described in
Volume 1 of the text "Alif-Baa."

Are these the same sounds, these pharyngeals I think
they call them?