Penutian "musmus"?

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Sep 12 00:57:22 UTC 2003

I was just glancing at Howard Berman's IJAL vol. 62 article, The Position
of Molala in Plateau Penutian, and saw a form for "deer" that looked
rather like CJ musmus "cow".  Could the Jargon term have any roots in the
Penutian one?

As implausible as that may sound, and as widely accepted as an Algonquian
etymology for musmus is, I can imagine a situation in which early CJ
already had the word mawich for "deer" (from Southern Waskashan, that is
Nootkan); maybe this would make existing widespread Oregon words like
musmus more likely and useful as terms for "cow".  As we know, terms for
animals were often shared among unrelated & not-closely-related languages
in the NW...

I think no one has proposed S. Wakashan sources for musmus.

Now, if musmus is Penutian rather than Algonquian, this tends to make the
latter seem a more minor contributor than thought.  (Because there are
relatively few other CJ words considered to be of Algonquian origin.)

Reactions?