Turnips, potatoes

Scott E Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Mon Apr 12 14:50:05 UTC 2004

Late reply to an old message = lili wawa koopa ol wawa
There is the Makah Genome Project which is looking into the genetics of the potato found at Neah Bay called qawac.  This species we called Indian potato which was different from modern potatos acquired from Americans.  It is felt to have come from Spanish visitors who had obtained them from South or Central American Indians. You can get an update about this project by doing a google search on Makah potato or Makah genone project.  These potatos are tasty, fragrant, go great with fish and onions, and when boiled the thin skin peels off easily.
Scott
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bernard Schulmann
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 11:46 AM
  Subject: Re: Turnips, potatoes

  Indian Potato in this part of the interior is the corm of certain lillies.  I think it is the avavlanche lily.

  Bernard

  David Robertson wrote:

Kuipers' Salish Etymological Dictionary has PS *s-qawc "(Indian) potato",
quite widely attested in the family, and notes similar looking words
(qa:wac) in Quileute and Nootka. Is there one particular species we should
understand by "Indian potato"?

Ross Clark