Indian sounds in shorthand, more evidence

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Dec 3 06:08:56 UTC 2004

Not that this issue needs any more proof, but here's something from a
totally different author (Father Louis Napoleon St. Onge) in Kamloops Wawa
of April 1898, page 53:

"Naika kakshit klaska pus mamuk kuli pilpil; naika *pok'pok'* pi hwip
klaska, pi kaltash."

("I slap them [his legs, which were turning black and becoming useless] to
make the blood circulate; I *hit* and whip them, but to no avail.")

The word between asterisks uses the shorthand letter that Le Jeune also
used to show an Indian sound, in this case [q].  The corresponding Indian
form is known to be /p'Eqp'Eq/.

St. Onge was a veteran missionary of the Oregon Territory who was involved
in editing the superb "Chinook dictionary, catechism, prayers and hymns" of
Demers and Blanchet.  He also contributed to Kamloops Wawa voluminous
translations into Chinook Jargon of Catholic texts, as well as
illlustrations for K.W., and carried on personal correspondence in CJ
shorthand with various aboriginal people of BC.  It's unsurprising that
he'd be well enough acquainted with the Jargon to note details of the
Indian sounds used in it.

--Dave R.