KIWA

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Mon Jul 19 10:40:41 UTC 2004

Maybe "kinnikinnick" can be put in that category too. Two of the words
you mention, "papoose" and "calumet" are listed in some CJ glossaries
but the other two are excluded.

I'm not sure why I have the impression that "mowitch" was used further
east - maybe it wasn't. I'm going to have to scrounge around and find
out where I got that idea.

As for loan words, here's an interesting thought -- the western concept
of the Pot Luck (a big feast where everyone contributes a dish and
everything is shared). I clearly remember, as a kid, attending one of
these in the local church basement: "what's a pot luck?" I asked, and
the answer was something akin to, "Native people used to hold a
potlatch. Now we call it a pot luck."

:)

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)